Monday, August 18, 2008

Some more mid summer random thoughts...

Thinking...

Here is a pet peeve – Saturday in the D was perfect – low humidity, warm, and limited cloudage. I ended up going out with friends and we went to a bar to hear a band. PET PEEVE – going to a bar all closed on a summer night. Nothing bites my ass more in this world – ok I am sure there are a few things – but wasting a summer night doing something I can do in the middle of the winter. Those nights are meant for rooftops and patios. I figure that 25% of weekend nights you can be outside. I can easily hang out inside one of those 75% nights.

I never in my life thought I would see a bar come to a stop to watch four dudes swim in a pool over in China. Nonetheless, it was quote an event to watch and even better to watch with people. It seems to be the only thing uniting people this year. The records seem to be the only thing rather than cheering against the pesky Russians. At this point even the Chinese don’t create enough nationalism from the Americans.

I had to laugh regarding the story about the people finding Sasquatch. The pic alone looked sketchy. It looked like the guerrilla mask you see sold in Halloween stores. Of course the people who found just happen to be part of an organization that sells Big Foot memorabilia. Somehow cable news showed that story all over the place. Do we need any more examples of why 24 hour news channels are not a good thing?

The biggest disappointment of the summer – Detroit Tigers. They can’t do anything right. Their pitching is terrible. They cannot field and their hitting is completely inconsistent. I guess we will have to wait for the beginning of the Lions season – ROFL! Sorry – I thought I could say it with a poker face.

In less than a week the Democratic Convention (aka Clinton Exhibit) will be underway and we should know who Barrack Obama has chosen for his Vice President. Barrack has a difficult decision in front of him as he needs to figure out who will complement him the best. I will get into this more in depth later this week. At that time we will discuss John McCain who has the same tough decision but the factors are completely different.

Is anyone seeing this race as youth against experience?

The next time someone tells you how bad the economy is, ask them to explain the long lines for iPhones and John Madden’s 2009 Football game. People – these are not bread lines. They would not be happening if the economy was truly terrible.

I need a name for these posts where they are random thoughts.

2 comments:

Dateless in Detroit said...

"The next time someone tells you how bad the economy is, ask them to explain the long lines for iPhones and John Madden’s 2009 Football game. People – these are not bread lines. They would not be happening if the economy was truly terrible."
I have a comment on this. The economy IS bad right now. I find that the people who dont think it is have decent jobs and in my opinion is because it is not affecting them. I can imagine the lines of people are people who have good jobs where they have an expendable income, teenagers who have a summer job and have saved for things like this, and also people who spend thier money like idiots instead of paying thier rent or car note. There are all kinds, but the fact of the matter is, that the economy is not awesome right now. If you got laid off tomorrow, it'd take you a while to find a replacement job. I have a freind who since MARCH has been laid off, and she just recently got hired, and she is an engineer.
However you could also play devil's advocate and venture to say that the people who dont make a ton of money (like me) are the ones who complain about the bad economy because we cant afford things like gas and Iphones.

Just my two cents. ;)

Midwest Gent said...

For one – you are not complaining but simply pointing out a reality you are seeing with your own eyes.

I for one will not play the devil’s advocate because it would simply be not true. I find my less affluent friends are way happier than those who are more affluent so it would difficult to even try to argue that point.

The point I was trying to make is when I sit down to watch the news you would think the sky is falling and we should all jump off a bridge rather than endure the economy. Now maybe I am being slightly dramatic but it does seem the point is hammered home on a constant basis.

I am not going to lie to anyone and say I don’t know anyone unemployed right now but the reality is I always seem to know someone unemployed. I guess I would end by saying based on all the bad news you would think all my friends would be spending their days send resumes but that is not the case.