Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Unusually warm voting day

Well I did my civic duty today which is kind of odd because it is usually cold as ever when I go into vote. I was not even aware there was an election today outside the series of signs I saw across the area requesting me to vote “Yes” on the Detroit Zoo proposal. I usually would not even bother but I felt I needed to in this case. For my precinct, I was #122 at 6:00 PM.

In a city that seems to be slowly losing its identity through the ever changing auto industry and its pathetic city government, one must do what they can to support what is out there that makes this area still a great area to live in regardless of your living situation. Every city must have certain standard cultural elements. Detroit is not short in this area as we have a great zoo, symphony, art institute, good universities, and a very long list of items I am leaving out at this point and time.

With those items comes a reputation of being a good place to both live and visit by large groups of people. Without them it becomes a struggle to reach that status let alone maintain it.

It is all sad that you don’t hear about those great things in this town because when you read something real good, it almost surprises you. I recently was going through Money Magazine which ranked small cities with under 300,000 people. They were ranked on five different areas – Jobs/Economy, Safety, Education, Housing Affordability, and Leisure/Arts. Out of the top 100, six were in Michigan and five were suburbs of Detroit. Once would not expect such a good turnout from an area that sounds like it should just close up shop and go home.

I don’t personally plan on leaving Michigan anytime soon. It is a good area for many reasons in my opinion. For every thing may not appeal to you – like cold weather - is every reason I tend to stay – like avoiding 120 degree weather in those not so cold environments.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's a great place to live - Michigan that is. I realize people are struggling, but people are struggling everywhere. We just need to get better local leaders, across the board. And I know you know Kwhat and Kwho I'm talking about. Btw, I didn't vote, and I didn't feel too bad about it until I read your entry. Oh well, I'll vote this fall. We'll see who we end up with... and P.S. Anyone who wants to be president can't be dealing with a full deck.

Dateless in Detroit said...

Thanks for making me feel like a punk for forgetting to vote for that. I planned and planned on it, and as i got to work I smacked my forehead DOH! I hated myself for that 1 minute.

Midwest Gent said...

First – I know better to type my comments in the browser window to only lose them when somehow a connection is lost or an error happens.

EM – I just got done reading an article that stated people from the finance industry in NYC are leaving in droves to Chicago. People are struggling all around us.

Our quest for better local leaders has taken another hit with “Cheeks”, Kw’s mom, winning her primary. It is tough to not to vote for someone with that name.

Your PS is right on the mark.

DID - Forgive yourself for heaven’s sake and don’t waste yet another minute. The proposal passed in flying colors.