Monday, January 5, 2009

New year thoughts

A few things coming to my mind as I sit here on a Sunday evening -

Since snow plowing funds in the state of Michiganm come from new cars sales, I hope we have a light snow winter. On that same topic, why is it snow removal is not a privatized operation. Why does the government think it is a good idea to take on the burden of buying trucks, maintaining them at that and having people on their payroll for something that happens so sporadically?

People will talk about new car sales for December but the ones I am looking at will be the ones starting say February when people will be able to get funding due to lower credit requirements - more having to do with GM than the other Big Three due to GMAC getting money from the Federal government. In addition people will begin getting their tax returns that may be bigger for some since they sold stock/mutual funds that lost money which will increase their tax returns.

For all the talk of parties and such for the Inaguration, I am looking forward to seeing the action of Obama in the first few days in office. I hope the people that voted him they are happier than they have been once he gets started with his plan. As for those who did not vote him in that he continues to do things that have so far shown him to be a bit more conservative than previously anticipated by the pundits.

Am I the only one notciing people keeping their Christmas trees up longer than I ever remember in the past? It seems curbs are covered with trees just days from Christmas and I see people with trees still lit up well after New Years?

I do not make New Years resolutions. My feeling is if it something that needs to be done I should have been doing it all along and not waiting until the New Year.

The other night I saw a commercial for the International Auto Show here in Detroit. They had local celebrities inviting the watcher down to the show this year. ONe struck me as strangte - Bill Bonds. He has not been doing much of anything in this area in some time other than Gardner White commercials. It seems strange to me because I thought they could have found a more worthwile celebrity to entice the people down to Cobo Hall for the annual event.

Take care - Midwest Gent

No comments: