Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The next season is fastly approaching...

Ok...so seriously - my efforts here have left some to be desired... I am looking at posting something... anything... for the next several days. I have ideas but time gets away from me
by the time I get even remotely to sitting down to write them out.

I have all my paper work to do my taxes and will be looking to do sometime in the next week or two. Of course since I expect to get money back, there is a reason to do my taxes in a timely manner.

I bring this up because it seems everyone that Obama is appointing many people who can't do their taxes correctly to the point that they are resigning at the moment they are exposed for their error.

This brings to light the question - why do taxes need to be so difficult? Why do they need someone with a secret decoder ring to do them with any success and limited errors? When is the flat tax - advocated forever by billionaire Steve Forbes - going to be put in and wash all that IRS tax code away?

None of this will take place as long as IRS employs so many people. It will not happen while HR Block and other tax accountants are breathing air. It will not happen while the US government shows a complete disinterest in efficiency at all levels.

All of it is a shame but seems to be a necessary evil. Oh well - buy some software, put in some numbers and hope you do not owe and maybe get back a little more than expected.

No comments: