Thursday, May 22, 2008

Rings

This is something that I have noticed for some time but it seems more prevalent than ever at least to this blogger. What you may ask? People not wearing their wedding rings/bands these days - both men and women.

I am slightly baffled why people have taken up this trend and run with it. Are they a pain in the butt to wear? Are they somehow different than they were twenty years ago per se? Are people ashamed or embarrassed for being married?

I am someone who owns zero jewelry and have not worn a watch in years. At the same time, if I were married you can bet that the wedding band would be on my hand at ALL TIMES other than unforeseen circumstances. I would want people to see my pride in being married through the wearing of my ring among other things. It is for sure interesting how people go about things.

3 comments:

Dateless in Detroit said...

i've noticed this also. its disheartening for sure. I once was talking to a man at a bar, my friend pointed out his ring, and i said 'oh ok' and continued to have my conversation. convo is not inappropriate. he went to the restroom, came back and the ring was gone. I called him out on it. what on earth would make him do that?? I was appalled and said loudly "oh my god!!! your ring! its gone, did you lose it???" he blushed and shamefully admited he took it off. I let him have it.

Anonymous said...

Hiya Midwest Gent. My ex never wore his ring. I bought him a very nice one and almost immediately into our marriage, he "lost it." I'm pretty sure he hocked it for gambling cash or something equally disappointing. After I found out he had posted "single and looking" ads on the internet shortly before our one year anniversary, he told me he wanted a new ring (I guess to make me think that he was committed to me - since I had seen a divorce lawyer). He wore it maybe 5 or 6 times and then guess what? Lost that one too. Those 5 or 6 times by the way, were on double-dates with our friends... you know, because he wouldn't want them to think poorly of him.

So to summarize: First ring hocked. Second ring hocked. I guess dating other women while you're married is easier with no ring and a few extra dollars in your pocket.

Midwest Gent said...

It seems like I am hearing more and more terrible stories regarding marriages these days. The ring thing seems to be one of the common strings in this case. It is very disheartening to say the least. I guess I Will just have to add it to the list of things that I would like to see change but society is well down that slippery slope.