Sunday, September 21, 2008

Last summer evening thoughts

Some thoughts here on the last summer evening in 2008…and as usual I am all across the board…

I am a very big sports fan and changed the channel over to the Orioles and Yankees game. It is the last game in Yankee Stadium. I have a desire to see different stadiums but for whatever reason I never had a desire to go to the stadium. I do have a desire to see Fenway Park – home of the Boston Red Sox. I could not explain if my life depended on it why I want to see the one and not the other.

One thing I recommend to most people if they remember in two years is watch the Ryder Cup. Anymore I don’t watch golf on television but the Ryder Cup is something with emotion and nationalism with money not even coming into play. It is one of hardest fought competitions in sports. It is played every two years.

Lion fans have gone through some rough times but this may go down as the worst season in franchise history. I did not watch one moment of today’s game and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I did not miss anything. When you consider the position I cam efrom this shows how pathetic the organization is for sure.

Folks – we no longer are a pure democracy with in a free market. For sure this has been the case for some time but we received yet another affirmation as we see the government bailing out banks with $700B. Your tax dollars are being used to rescue overly greedy bankers who sold off poor loans just for the quick cash. What those people have done is borderline criminal and nothing will happen to them. They have their money and have probably since walked away from the whole situation. One can find themselves doing nothing but shaking their heads thinking about the situation.

Do you remember when the question “How many people does it take to screw in a light bulb” was a joke? As I continue working in Corporate America I think it is sad to find out this is a legit question that sometimes merit being asked out loud. If I were to explain to you the circumstances that took place in last project I worked on, it would make you pause for a moment to think about how anything gets done. More importantly making you wonder how people keep their jobs and some people don’t make it any further than they do.

So I read the other day that MTV’s TRL will be shutting down sometime soon after ten years. There are some things that struck me about that show. Let me preface my statements by letting you know I only ever saw it on TV for a minute or two time to time when they reran in the morning before I went to work some time ago. First it was a show on MTV that showed music videos. Is that not what MTV should be doing as that is what they did for years? Secondly, it did give everyone a new perspective on life who may have thought they could not be a star. The show produced Carson Daly who to this day I am still trying to figure out how he ever got to host the show. They could have have had anyone on that show I think doing the presenting work. The other thing that got me is they never showed much more than a minute of the videos. Is the draw of the show watching Carson in a sea of fourteen year old girls? Maybe just maybe it is the fact the audience relishes the fact they are able to vote for who they want and don’t have their vote lost in the Electoral College. I will have to give that some further thought.

No comments: