Friday, September 5, 2008

RNC thoughts

Thoughts this past Republican Convention week…

Keith Olbermann is a total dweeb and loves the Democratic Party. He was good to correct every factual error in each speech during the applause no less. If anyone watching the conventions could tell me the major networks are impartial I would give them an old shoe to chew on. Fox News Sean Hannity is for sure impartial but that is no problem because he freely admits it. There is nothing impartial with guys like Tom Brokaw,

ABC News seems to not be able to get enough of themselves. They interrupted half the speeches so political stalwarts like Diane Sawyer (you will never be Baba Wawa), Chuck Gibson, and George S (I am not even going to bother spelling his last name) could get their words in edge wise. George S probably gave himself a chemical shower every night before going to bed back at his room making sure he did not catch anything from the Republicans.

Fred Baby!! Where was that vigor when you campaigned eighteen months ago? I remember seeing him debate and on a few interviews and he came across as a narcoleptic. Had he matched the spirit the other night, he would have been on the ticket.

This election year was Joe Lieberman and the previous Republican convention was Zen Miller. This has to be a disturbing trend to Democratic leadership like Howard Dean that their own are speaking at the Republican convention making to note their party’s issues. I would love to see some knowledgeable bi partisan people debate the move of the political party in the last fifty years. More specifically it would be good to know if people think they have become better, worse, or status quo.

Rudy Giuliani speech seemed a bit over the top to the point of almost being embarrassing. The blows he was delivering seemed almost below the belt but for sure nailed the point home.

Overall, I found the conventions contrasted themselves from previous ones. Republican conventions are usually reserved and done with little emotion. The Democratic Convention is full of spirit and tude. This go round showed that not to be the case. The Democrats were a reserved group of people who put words out there but did not give the impression they really believed the words they were uttering – ie. Bill and Hillary. Obama’s speech was about the only speech with sprit but in fairness I missed Michelle Obama’s speech. I guess I could Youtube but I have not gotten around to it. The Republican Convention had their fair share of “fire and brimstone” speeches whether it be Fred or Rudy.

Did I miss this woman’s candidate’s Mr Magoo (aka Ron Paul) speaking at the convention?

Needless to say the speech this past week that came with anticipation was not the Presidential hopeful John McCain but VP candidate Sarah Palin. Her speech required to be nothing short of great and surprisingly all he pundits agreed it in fact was great.

Locally, the area I come from has been pointed at as one of the most important battle grounds. Oakland County was mentioned last week on NBC’s “Meet the Press” by Republican Strategist Mike Murphy and Macomb County was discussed on CNN last evening following McCain’s speech. My fellow Metro Detroiters, like she did here, will see members of both tickets plenty in the coming weeks.

Another remarkable thing that happened is the talk from reporters indicating that going into the convention that Republicans and the like don’t feel they have a chance at winning in November. Last time I checked the polls were split down the middle. Now I realize based on the electoral college the margin is wider based on those states each person has an advantage in but they way you hear these people talk you would think even Republican delegates see no reason to hold the election. Wonder never ceases here.

1 comment:

Dateless in Detroit said...

I watched only McCain's speech. The Kwame news was the only thing on until it was time for McCain to speek, and I only get one channel on my TV, so that is what i had to watch. Afterwards, I felt I needed to Youtube Barack's DNC Speech for comparison.

My point..this is the first time in my history that I have EVER watched a political speech. If anything, its getting people who werent previously interested in politics, interested.