Thursday, September 11, 2008

List Flabbergation

Dear Billboard Magazine –

I started out my day like any other rolling out of bed and some how putting on my socks without breaking my neck. While performing this always difficult act, I had the radio and heard your publication came out with a list of the top 100 songs from August 1958 to July 2008. In the fog of the morning, the radio newscaster announced that Chubby Checker had the #1 song on your list. Immediately I knew I was missing something because that is not possible. Somehow I did not understand the list of songs. I went through my mind to figure out what criteria was used to put that particular song on top. I Googled your list and found it. Now I did read your criteria for weighting older songs different but I think there has to be major flaws to it. Did you use an abacus to get the totals? It is plain as day – Chubby Checker has brought us the best song in the last fifty years. #2 was “Smooth” by Santana featuring Rob Thomas. Third was “Mack the knife” by the “legendary” Bobby Darin. Please line up even your readers and see how many people know Bobby Darin.

Who made this list? Is there any chance they will identify themselves or are they all in straight jackets? Did you mistakenly have one of those groups that play Dungeon and Dragon’s on Saturday night make this list of songs? I mean the whole list is whacked. Olivia Newton with “Physical” at #6 (ok – there is no issue with that selection) and Debbie Boone – WHO? Who doesn’t have Diana Ross and Lionel Richie blaring with “Endless Love” every evening of their life? Andy Gibb has two songs on this list? “Ebony and Ivory” – and here I thought that song was just a joke. WOW. All is good though – there is a Captain and Tenille sighting on this list. Maybe I will forget all this… NOT!

What was going on in that room when this list was devised? You should have all left and got some fresh air. Did you end up writing this all up with those strong smelling permanent markers that should not been inhaled? Put the caps back on when you are not using - do not pick your nose with them please.

I may be writing my Congressmen sometime this weekend to have them put together a Congressional panel on this issue. Hell they look into baseball for heaven’s sake.
I have not been flabbergasted like this in some time.

Sincerely -

Midwest Gent

4 comments:

Dateless in Detroit said...

Um, Im as disgusted as you are. I almost threw up in my mouth. Can I ask how The Macarena is #5 of all times. Maybe the list means Most played songs ever. Because Macarena was played A LOT, but as a top 100 song of all times? No.

also, Too Close by Next. Um...baby when we're grinding, I get so excited, ooh how I like it' i try but I cant fight it.
Yes, quality.

I wont even speak about how rediculous it is that Low by Flo-Rida is #24

Laura R said...

Bobby Darin was and is legendary. He has a well-deserved place on the list. Mack The Knife was Number 1 for nine weeks at a time when most number 1 songs were on the list for only a week or two. I think the longest an Elvis song was on the list was five weeks. Mack The Knife was also in the top ten for 52 weeks. Totally unheard of for the time. Like you I'm pretty mystified by the rest of the picks. Did Smooth really get so much more airplay and sales than, say, Hey Jude? I had to go get an MP3 download of it to remind myself what the song sounded like.

Midwest Gent said...

DID – I am glad I am not alone in my opinion in this injustice.

Laura R – Much thanks for your initial comment here. Despite the facts you make referring to Bobby Darin, I still find it difficult to imagine his song being #2. You discussed “Mack the Knife” success length of time. I will have to take some time to find out competition at the time.

Overall - When I find some time – you know one of those cold days when you have nothing else to do but Google or when I am at work – LOL - I will find out how many plays Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” got during the time on the list though I am will need to find out if the songs needed to be introduced in the time span of the discussion.

Unknown said...

You shoud read Googa's blog sometime...you may start to have a better understanding and respect for music that may not be your exact cup of tea. Chubby Checker was an extremely talented, influential and ground-breaking musician. He made many break-throughs in music whether it was in the spotlight or behind the scenes.

Now - as for Billboard? The way they measure what a hit is/was is crap and always has been. Just like the Academy Awards, the fans are not the judge. So...take that whole "top 100" with a few million grains of salt.