Monday, February 4, 2008

Things are not always what they seem

It has occurred to me that not only myself but many people in this world including a slew of retail management has made a grave error. That error is assuming that being a cashier is an easy task that does not deserve high pay nor does it take much mental capacity to perform on a daily basis.
This has all became pretty clear to me as a single man who goes through a lot of self check outs because I don’t buy a lot for myself despite not eating out a lot. It is absolutely brutal to see the brain cells that are being burned while people are perplexed with the act of scanning, and then placing their item in the bag. It appears to be a real mind bender when they are presented with produce which does not have a bar code. Something leads me to believe they may not even know the produce they are buying at that time.

A person blessed with the patience of a saint is the cashier who is responsible for answering the different questions of at least four stations. How tired is that person when they are done with their shift? People asking questions non stop like “What is this?” and “Why will this not scan?” or “Can you help me out because it will not let me scan this item?” You wonder if the cashier gets battle wages.
I would not think you would have to be a member of MENSA to be able to go through the self check out line but maybe that is not the case.

The lesson is simple – don’t evaluate someone’s job until you have been in their shoes because you may find out it ranks right up there with doing the Sunday New York Times Crossword Puzzle.

1 comment:

xxxx said...

Watching people try to use those drives me CRAZY sometimes!!