Monday, July 7, 2008

Success

I am blogging with some "pops"in my system so bare with me.

Let me preface that I am not a weeknight consumer of "pops"
but this is an extraordinary circumstance. Hopefully nothing
like this for many, MANY years!!!

Anyways I wanted to post something as I remember it right now.
When I go to a wedding or graduation, I like to put in the
card the following poem from Ralph Waldo Emerson:

Success

To laugh often and much
to win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better,
whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition;
to know even one life has breathed easier
because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.


It is a good barometer to go by in everyone's life.

4 comments:

Dateless in Detroit said...

pops during the week is not a bad thing. At least to me.

did you post that poem before? It sounds astonishingly familiar.

Midwest Gent said...

I had to look back but you are correct... I ddi not think I had as I was waiting for a "rainy" blog day.

Good eye!!

Dateless in Detroit said...

Haha! See I read em! LOL

Hey, do you really go to the Shamrock? I am there almost every Wednesday after I teach my salsa class which is at the dance studio accross the street from Hatchys.

Midwest Gent said...

Very rarely am I there.